History

Mole Abrasivi Ermoli was founded back in 1882 to extract “molera” stone from the local quarries and to obtain millstones for watermills and sandstone grinding mills for sharpening scythes and knives.

Shortly after the First World War, the company abandoned its quarrying activities to focus completely on producing bonded grinding wheels, which at the time were manufactured from natural emery from the island of Naxos, in the Aegean.

During the Second World War, Ermoli was designated a company of strategic importance because of its type of production, an 30% of its employees were exempted from military service.

Emery was abandoned in the 1950s to be replaced by the synthetic abrasives that had just appeared on the market: corundum and silicon carbide.

Until the 1970s we mainly produced wheels for tool sharpening and discs for marble cutting, although a certain quantity of wheels for grinding – a kind of manufacturing process undergoing rapid expansion at the time – were also produced.

Later, after abandoning cutting and tool sharpening discs, we focused on grinding wheels and wheels for grinding compression springs, which now make up the main part of our production.